One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A set of circumstances in which one finds oneself; a state of affairs.‘the situation between her and Jake had come to a head’‘the political situation in Russia’
circumstances, set of circumstances, state of affairs, affairs, state, condition, caseT Shoulder Embellished Geometric shirt Button Drop xHIwqd4q
- ‘The worst of the economic crisis may be over, but the political situation is far from decided.’
- ‘I searched for drugs in every town we worked in and I got into some dangerous situations but I was lucky to get out unharmed.’
- ‘How many times have you been in one of these dangerous situations and wished you knew exactly what to do?’
- ‘Three police constables have received awards for their bravery in dealing with dangerous situations.’
- ‘I am more or less used to it because this is not the first time I've been in dangerous situations.’
- ‘Sometimes we get in dangerous situations that can't be overcome by one person alone.’
- ‘As evening approached, the situation was becoming rather dangerous for the team.’
- ‘One would hardly expect the authority to leave the child in a dangerous situation, after all.’
- ‘I write to inform you about the dangerous situation which is occurring at Bedwyn station.’
- Printed Stretchy S Fashion Women Lady Christmas Skinny Leggings Pants ‘We know that not all emergency situations turn out the way we would like them.’
- ‘Children should be taught to be assertive, but to walk away from dangerous situations.’
- ‘If your thoughts are good and creative then you don't need to worry about the situations and circumstances.’
- ‘Time and time again he reacted quickly to dangerous situations.’
- ‘On occasions I've been placed in situations I would consider dangerous.’
- ‘They said driving lessons and tests should include motorway and night driving and handling dangerous situations.’
- ‘Children attending the camp will learn how to identify dangerous situations and act accordingly.’
- ‘He says there's a way of ensuring they won't become a hazard in such dangerous situations.’
- ‘I agree with Fair Trade people when it comes to most economic and political situations.’
- ‘Rescuing women from dangerous situations might come easy to heroes in a script.’
- ‘We dread the idea that we'll be stuck in a situation that might be dangerous.’
2The location and surroundings of a place.‘the situation of the town is pleasant’emergency, emergency situation, urgent situation, crisis, potential crisislocation, place, position, spot, site, locality, localeT Shoulder Embellished Geometric shirt Button Drop xHIwqd4q
3formal A position of employment; a job.job, day job, post, position, place, appointmentT Shoulder Embellished Geometric shirt Button Drop xHIwqd4q
situations vacant (or wanted)
Lists of jobs offered (or sought), especially in a newspaper.
- ‘Fifty companies looking for employees in a variety of fields were selected at random from newspaper situations vacant columns and recruitment websites.’
- ‘If I needed work I'd search through the situations vacant ads.’
Late Middle English (in situation (sense 2)): from French, or from medieval Latin situatio(n-), from situare ‘to place’ (see situate). Sense 1 dates from the early 18th century.
Some advice to nail your writing assignments.
How to get prepositions right in a heartbeat.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.